Unearth Women - A Travel Magazine with a Feminist Lens: Nikki Vargas & Elise Fitzsimmons
Co-founded by lifelong friends Nikki Vargas and Elise Fitzsimmons, Unearth Women is a new magazine that champions women's travel experiences and spotlights women fighting for change around the world. You'll find everything from feminist city guides that highlight women-owned business and local women's history, to profiles of women to watch in the travel industry. In this episode, Elise and Nikki talk about why they started the magazine, the current state of the travel space for women, and what it takes to publish a magazine. They also provide resources for those wanting to delve deeper into feminist thought.
Unearth Women is offering Nav.it podcast listeners a FREE year-long subscription to their magazine! Visit UnearthWomen.com/store and enter the code: FREEYEAR.
What You'll Learn
- Why Nikki and Elise started the Unearth Women magazine
- The back story behind their lifelong friendship
- Why there's been a lack of women's voices and stories in travel writing and journalism
- What the response has been to the magazine
- The current shift in the travel space in regards to women's stories and experiences
- What it takes financially to publish a print magazine
- What's been the best part of the journey for both of them
- Suggestions for helping to bring more women's voices to the table
- Some suggested resources for feminist thought and readings (see list below)
- Information about their upcoming podcast, The F-Word
Where to find Unearth Women
- The Feminist Book Club
- Everything's Trash, But It's OK by Phoebe Robinson
- Woman : An Intimate Geography by Natalie Angier
- We Should All be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gaye
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
If you are enjoying the Nav.it podcast. please take a moment to rate, review and subscribe – we would appreciate it as it really helps us grow the show. Other comments, suggestions or other feedback? Find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at @letsnavit.